Mr. Matthew H. Lembke
Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP
1819 Fifth Avenue North
Birmingham, AL 35203
Type of Case: Civil
Admitted to practice:
2nd Circuit, 4th Circuit, 5th Circuit, 10th Circuit, 11th Circuit, D.C.
Matt Lembke, who clerked for Justice Kennedy at the Supreme Court of the United States, has over 25 years of experience in handling appeals pending in both state and federal courts, including arguing cases in the Alabama Supreme Court, the Alabama Court of Civil Appeals, and the D.C., Fifth, and Eleventh Circuits. Matt has also served on trial teams in major litigation to ensure that appellate issues are properly preserved. Matt has often been called on to serve as appellate counsel in matters where other lawyers handled the trial, including cases with large punitive damages verdicts.
Matt works closely with each client to formulate a creative, cost-effective strategy to achieve his client’s objectives. Matt has extensive experience in handling high-profile, challenging cases for clients in Alabama and across the region. His experience includes:
• Served as appellate counsel for a national hospice company in a nationally significant False Claims Act case.
• Representation of a major healthcare provider in the appellate reversal of a $20 million wrongful death judgment in a medical malpractice case handled at trial by another firm.
• Representation of a national chemicals company as the appellate member of a trial team in connection with toxic tort litigation brought by former plant workers.
• Defense of Monsanto Company in multiple appeals of personal injury and property damage cases arising from alleged environmental contamination.
• Represented the State of Alabama in multiple appeals in litigation with Georgia and Florida concerning interstate water rights.
Outside his law practice, Matt closely follows developing legal issues, and the press often seeks his comments on them. Recently, he has been interviewed on Fox News and MSBNC, as well as by the New York Times, Law360, and Bloomberg Law.
Honors and Awards:
Nature of Firm's Practice: